7 Simple Steps to Better Digestion
Specializing in digestive wellness, I have to encourage people to eat the highest quality food they can afford. Yes, I’m aware that grass fed animal products and organic produce cost more. Yes, they are worth it. However, we can only purchase what we can afford. Do the best you can.
My 7 Simple Steps, however, do not cost extra and they can be the difference between getting the most from our food/drink and not taking in the vital nutrients we need to thrive. I could site sources and scientific evidence for each step, but for this article I’ve chosen to stay simple. Trust me, these are activities that have been proven to be beneficial.
Ask yourself, do I…?
1. Say grace/bless my food/express appreciation for the food I am about to welcome into my body.
2. Eat at a table. Not in the car. Not walking around. Not at my desk.
3. Breathe while I eat. Try to enjoy the flavor of each bite.
4. Chew my food and don’t rush my meal. (This mechanical portion of the digestive process sets the stage for the rest of your food to be broken down effectively.)
5. Don’t drink a cold liquid with the meal…it puts out the digestive “fire”. It’s fine to have cold drinks between meals.
6. If I am going to drink with a meal, limit the liquid to about 4 ounces, otherwise I dilute the acid in my stomach which is needed to break down food. (Lemon and water enhances digestion, by the way.)
7. Leave about 5-6 hours between meals if I can. (Snacking stresses the pancreas among other things.)
How many do you do?
Until next week…wishing you real food (eaten at a table) for real health (that is savored) so you can be real happy (and grateful).