Protecting Ourselves from Radiation
Most of this article comes from my notes of a session on the dangers of Electromagnetic Frequencies presented by Mary Cordaro at the recent Weston A Price Foundation conference. Mary’s website is packed with science and helpful hints on how to protect us from the harmful wavelengths in the world today, as well as other environmental concerns. I encourage you to explore it as well as the site of the folks at Defender Shield who were also at the conference.
To learn more about specific types and sources of EMFs, I went to greenfacts.org. You might want to do the same.
SAFETY MEASURES and POINTS OF INTEREST:
ELF – (Extremely low frequencies) – comes from wired devices
- At desks, move cables/power strips as far away from your feet as possible
- Unplug as much as you can in your room at bedtime
- No electric blankets
- Use battery operated clock
- If you are really electromagnetically sensitive – turn circuits to bedroom (and around bedroom) off – do this after they have been inspected so you’re sure they are safe.
HF – (High frequency – digital microwave – pulsed radiation – cordless phones)
- Antennasearch.com – see how close cell towers are to your house
- When using the following, you should test the area before and after putting the protection up:
- Window films and coatings
- Window shielding fabrics
- Canopies over beds
- Cordless Phones:
- Are like a mini cell tower – always emitting
- Use no more than 900 megahertz
- Use sparingly
- Use speaker if equipped with such
- Investigate protective stickers that can be placed near the battery
- I found a great article on HF-EMFs here.
- All smart phones and tablets emit radio frequency electrical magnetic fields 10-15 feet out when in standby mode
- No pregnant women or children should use them
- Use corded phones at home (not cordless! – see below)
- Everyone should minimize cell phone use
- Use a well-researched protective device like DEFENDER SHIELD Cell Phone Protection
- Talk on speaker
- Use Blue TUBE (not Bluetooth!)
- Place phone at least 15 feet from people
- Put smart phone in airplane mode as often as possible (there still is some radiation still, but much less)
- Radiate 10-15 feet, so…
- Keep in airplane mode as much as possible
- Research and use a protective device i.e. DEFENDER SHIELD Tablet Protection
- Keep in mind that the Wi-Fi harmful wavelengths come from both the router and the device hooked up to the Net
- If you can, remove Wi-Fi from your home and use a hardwired Internet connection
- Turn off your router at night
- Move router away from people, especially children
- ADDED NOTE: WIFI IN SCHOOL IS VERY DANGEROUS, ESP. IN ROOMS WITH MORE THAN ONE COMPUTER BECAUSE EVERY DEVICE IS EMITTING RADIATION
- Have dirty electricity that cannot be shielded.
- Learn more at www.smartmetereducationnetwork.com and www.michiganstopsmartmeters.com
Dirty electricity is a problem if you have Romex (as opposed to metal tubing). To reduce it:
- Avoid dimmer switches
- Use incandescent bulbs
- Avoid halogen lamps
Flat Screen Televisions
- AC magnetic radiation from a flat screen is relatively low (lower than the fatter TVs used to be).
- AC electric radiation, however, remains for up to 8 hours after turning the television off.
Additional websites that were strongly recommended:
- For those with children (grandchildren) – WWW.SAFBABY.COM
- Objective research – www.bioinitiative.org
I personally purchased a Defender Pad for use with my laptop. While Mary Cordaro strongly recommended not getting a smart phone, I suspect some day I will. When I do, I plan to get a Defender Shield case for it.